Friday 3 February 2023

The Dreams You Dreamt For Me

I don't know how much you endured, 
I can only imagine, 
and I know my imaginations come short 
but I do try during my infrequent 
intolerable bouts of sobriety, 
to put myself in your big shoes, 
you wear the same size as mine
yet I dare not take a step in your shoes 
they smell of heroism, 
of sacrifices, 
of courage, 
-none of which I can claim for myself, 
often, in my solemn corner that 
reeks of surrender, and defeat 
I think about you in distant lands, 
foraging in foreign lands for a morsel, 
perhaps wondering whether it was all worth it 
you dreamt dreams for me 
but then I grew up and wanted dreams of my own 
they were blurry, 
and I sought clarity among strangers 
drinking away one dream at a time 
now I am merely a shell, 
haunted by pangs of my own ingratitude 
unfortunately, I became me, 
and I ceased being everything else 
I ceased being me in my selfish desire 
to become a stranger among you 
I became a stranger when I became me 
fortunately, I have no more excuses 
I hope to shed this terrible skin of failure, 
so that our paths can cross again 
and I, for the one more, rise 
and introduce myself one last time 

No comments:

Post a Comment