Saturday 23 March 2019

Poetry Reading


You clapped the loudest in that poetry reading 
People throw weird looks at you every time I am on that stage 
Yet all you notice is my brilliance, or lack thereof, 
Your belief is steady, strong 

And when the two us are reduced to a mere bubble 
In a city where lights become a boon for thieves and whores 
You look into my eyes and say ‘let’s have pizza, 
Junky though, but mursik will cleanse us, 
And we’ll live straight to the edge of life,’
That’s how we plan – to accept life with the calmness of a dog 

Munching that Italian culinary invention, 
We get brilliant ideas such as: isn’t good to grab a whiskey? 
And we grab a whiskey and board that noisy manyanga to my ‘sheet hole’
Intoxicated by love, we look drunken in love 
I am even amazed by how my ‘introvertness’ wears out 
Suddenly I am superman feeling like I can’t pay the fare, and they will do nothing 

No comments:

Post a Comment