Thursday 14 February 2019

I Am No Hero


My days are now darker and starker,
I am bereft with reasons to live
But then I am bereft of energy to die
To die an honourable death

What can I do with my bad habits?
What can I do with my alcohol?
What can I do with these dreams?
What do people do when the no longer have energy?

I wish the sun would wait in the sky 
Wait for me to live some of these dreams
Dreams that gnaw my conscience
So much that it often feels there’s no time

I am no longer the hero of my own life
The heroes in me are my demons
Demons that speak a familiar language
A language that says give up right now

I have given up a thousand times
Yet the people in my life cheer me on
And I go on, as if everything is normal
Save for fire and brimstone burning me away
A dream a time

No comments:

Post a Comment