Thursday 27 December 2018

I Carry A Poet's Burden


There was a morning, a Saturday morning
When the words echoed in my head
Exhorting me to rise and write them
That my heart beat for you


I was the titanic, setting sail
To you, the alluring iceberg
And our collision,
Oh! How beautiful a ruin

The simple thought of us
Wrecked every nerve in me
Sinking, I’d sink in a bliss
As unsure as tomorrow

I wanted to light the stars
The stars in your eyes
‘cause you lit the ones in mine
How much I wanted to

It turns out, sadly
There were things, certain obscure things
That you only felt in your thoughts
Among those things – love

Now I carry the burden of a poet
Expressing other’s feelings
Put my heart on the shelf
and, once in a while, read it like a book,
for the words inside it amount to a thousand pages
of feelings that died like untended fire
all I have is the ashes of a dream
how easily they slip through my fingers
just like you did, and I allowed
now I shoulder a burden,
a poet’s burden

No comments:

Post a Comment