Sunday 21 August 2022

Give Me Bread

give me a loaf of bread 

before I drop dead 

so that you can come 

and bestow upon my soul virtues I never had 


say you truly love me 

before we become 'used to be'

and you turn into a philosopher 

waxing cliches 

like you don't know what you have till its gone 


life is a lot like a novel 

lots of plots twists before the shovel 

lots of characters, aiding or derailing the script 

and sometimes the confusion between the real and ideal 

makes life unbearable  


you fall into hard times 

that make you long for those nursery rhymes 

because the meaning of adulthood gets lost

and you wonder why you were 

so much in a hurry to grow up 


they say life is unfair 

because it is supposed to be 

they say diamonds take a beating 

to become the 'it' thing

but you are no diamond and hard is not your portion 



No comments:

Post a Comment